Tuesday, July 19, 2011

America by Heart by Sarah Palin

Yes, I am a Sarah Palin fan. Unashamedly.

I just finished reading her new book. 

As a mom, and a Christian, and a pastor, and an American, I enjoyed this very much. She takes a few chapters each and discusses what's great about America and what we may have forgotten. Faith - our belief in God and determination that we are a country that promotes freedom of religion, not freedom from religion; Family - that we are a country that believes the states know better than the feds, the city knows better than the state, and the family knows better than the city; and Flag - that America is an exceptional country and we should never apologize to anyone for believing it. 

Despite Sarah's critics' claim that she is horribly uneducated, I found her to be well-read and well-versed on American history, politics, and current issues. Which proves what I've always felt - if you don't like what she says, just disagree. Don't label her stupid. It's a sign of a critic's own insecurity to have to denigrate those they criticize.

Admittedly, this is not the best written book in the world. I enjoyed her quotes from others (especially Margaret Thatcher, Ronald Reagan, etc.) much more than her own writing. But again, Sarah Palin is a politician, not a writer. She simply joins the ranks of others who are better at doing other things (singing? cooking? preaching?) but decide to write also. That's okay. It's still a good message.

One thing that inspired me after reading this? Inspired that I need to read the US Constitution and Bill of Rights to my kids and make sure they understand it. Ask yourself, when was the last time you read the Constitution?

No comments:

Post a Comment