From School Education by Charlotte Mason:
2. Have respect for the books themselves.
3. Try to cultivate taste by noticing the best passages in any book that is being read.
4. Time is too short to read much; there is a necessity, therefore, for judicious selection.
5. The best literature can only be appreciated by those who have fitted themselves for it.
6. It is more important to read well than to read much.
7. The gain of reading some of the most beautiful literature while we are young is that we shall them have beautiful thoughts and images to carry with us through life.
8. To get at the full significance of a book it is necessary to dig for it.